Monday, February 28, 2011

The Arcade Fire-The Suburbs

So it took me a while to buy this album. I was unsure about it, but when it beat The Black Keys and Vampire Weekend for Best Alternative Album of the year at the Grammys I figured I would give it another chance. "The Suburbs" is a great collection of songs with the same theme. I love that the songs bleed into each other, not just with subject matter, but they have some of the same lines and descriptions of the same things happening from different perspectives. The opening track, which is also the title track is a great upbeat opener to the collection. A few of my favorite tracks are Half-Light II(Celebration), The Suburbs, Ready to Start, The Sprawl I(Flatland), and The Sprawl II(Mountains Beyond Mountains) which contains some of my favorite lyrics;
"sometimes I wonder if the world's so small
that we can never get away from the sprawl
living in the sprawl
the dead shopping malls
rise like mountains beyond mountains
and there's no end in sight
I need the darkness
someone please cut the lights!"

I think the words speak for themselves. The album does a great job of presenting the reality of suburban life.

No comments:

Post a Comment