Monday, February 28, 2011

The Boxer Rebellion- The Cold Still

I got my first Boxer Rebellion album, Union, free from FirstListen.org in 2009 and absolutely loved it. So when I saw that they were releasing a new album, I jumped on it. I'm really happy with how well this band is doing. They are featured in the film "Going the Distance" with Drew Barrymore and Justin Long. They even recorded a song especially for the movie soundtrack; "If You Run." I was afraid that I wouldn't like "The Cold Still" as much as "Union," but luckily it proved me wrong.:) They managed to keep their original sound intact without creating songs that all sound the same. My favorites are No Harm, Get Out of the Car, Organ Song, Memo, and Doubt. Nathan Nicholson's singing style gives the band a very unique sound that is different from many male fronted bands that I've heard. The songs are on the slow side for the most part, but they are far from boring and monotonous. Their sound is pretty true to alternative. For instance, if you enjoy the Arcade Fire, Cold Play, Sufjan Stevens and/or Dashboard Confessional you might want to add them to the list of music you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment